1. A victim of rape/sexual abuse calls our 24/7 crisis hotline. Either a staff member or a trained volunteer will take the call. The staff member/volunteer listens, provides support and offers options for reporting, medical attention and counseling. Even if the victim isnt ready to pursue services at this time, staff will continue to follow up with the caller. If they are ready for services, staff will make a referral to our counselor who will contact the victim to schedule a counseling appointment.
2. Hospital Emergency Roomcalls Hope Haven whenever a rape victim walks into their facility. Hope Haven dispatches a victim advocate to meet the victim at the hospital. The victim advocate will provide emotional support through the entire rape exam, provide options, referrals and ensure that victims know their rights. The victim advocate will also create a safety plan with the victim prior to leaving the hospital.
3. Local law enforcement and DSS(Department of Social Services) call Hope Haven whenever they have a case of alleged child sexual abuse or physical abuse. They will schedule an appointment with us to conduct the forensic interview with the child victim. This eliminates the number of times a child has to disclose the abuse and thus decreases their level of trauma.
4. Walk-ins can expect to be seen by our Victim Advocate who will talk to each client privately to assess their needs and provide appropriate referral for services.
5. Once a month, Hope Haven conducts a Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) Meeting where representatives from law enforcement, child protection, Guardian Ad Litum, medical personnel and Solicitors office meet to staff and coordinate all cases of child abuse. This MDT process ensures that no child falls through the cracks.
6. Believing that knowledge and awareness are the keys to prevention, we offer education workshops that are age appropriate, which helps adults and children increase their abilities to prevent child sexual abuse and sexual assault. We also provide expert consultation to any child serving organizations interested in creating or improving their child protection policy.